Organizations such as ASTM International, the British Standards Institution (BSI), and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) play a crucial role in setting standards for zipper testing. These standards provide guidelines and specifications that ensure the quality, performance, and safety of zippers. Here's an explanation of the standards set by these organizations:
1. ASTM International (American Society for Testing and Materials):
- ASTM D2061 - Standard Test Methods for Strength of Zippers
This standard provides test methods for evaluating the strength of zippers, including determining the force required to separate the zipper elements and assessing the resistance to slippage and separation under tension.
- ASTM D2062 - Standard Test Methods for Operability of Zippers
This standard outlines test methods for determining the operability and smooth functioning of zippers, including aspects such as slider pull-off force, crosswise strength, and alignment of zipper elements.
2. British Standards Institution (BSI):
- BS EN 16732 - Textiles and textile products. Zip fasteners. Safety requirements.
This standard establishes safety requirements for zippers used in various textile products, ensuring that they are free from hazards that could cause injury or harm. It covers aspects such as sharp edges, choking hazards, and durable construction.
- BS 3084 - Methods of Test for Zips
This standard specifies test methods for evaluating the strength, durability, and performance of zippers. It includes tests for strength under tension, repeated opening and closing cycles, resistance to abrasion, and dimensional changes.
3. International Organization for Standardization (ISO):
- ISO 12945-4 - Textiles — Determination of fabric propensity to surface fuzzing and to pilling — Part 4: Random tumble pilling method
Although not specific to zippers, this ISO standard provides a method for evaluating the propensity of fabrics to form fuzz balls or pills during random tumbling, which can be relevant when testing zippers attached to fabrics.
- ISO 17075 - Textiles — Zipper and slide fasteners — Vocabulary and presentation
This standard establishes a comprehensive vocabulary for terms related to zippers and slide fasteners, facilitating clear communication and understanding across the industry.
These standards, among others, define test procedures, equipment specifications, sample preparation techniques, and result interpretation methods. Following these standards ensures consistency, reliability, and comparability of zipper testing across different manufacturers, industries, and regions. It is recommended to refer to the specific versions and revisions of these standards for detailed guidelines and protocols for zipper testing.
Copyright 2022：Qinsun Instruments Co., Limited