ASTM International's standards apply to a wide range of building material types. Below are some examples of common construction materials for which ASTM standards are applicable:
1. metallic materials: including steel, aluminium, copper, cast iron, etc. The ASTM E8/E8M standards are used to determine the tensile strength and elongation of metallic materials, and the ASTM A36 standard is used for the evaluation of the mechanical properties of structural steel materials, etc. The ASTM E8/E8M standards are used to determine the tensile strength and elongation of metallic materials.
2. concrete and cement: ASTM C39 is used to determine the compressive strength of concrete, and ASTM C150 is used to evaluate the performance of ordinary silicate cement.
3. wood and wood products: ASTM D143 standard for the determination of wood bending strength and modulus of elasticity, ASTM D7031 standard for the evaluation of mechanical properties of wood composites.
4. plastics and polymers: ASTM D638 standard is used to determine the tensile strength and elongation of plastic materials, ASTM D790 standard is used to determine the bending strength of plastics and composite materials, etc..
5. glass and glass products: ASTM C1036 standard is used to evaluate the optical properties of flat glass, ASTM C1376 standard is used to evaluate the mechanical properties of glass fibre reinforced composite materials.
6. fire-resistant materials: ASTM E119 standard is used to evaluate the fire resistance of building components, and ASTM E84 standard is used to evaluate the surface burning characteristics of building materials.
In addition, the ASTM standards cover the testing and performance evaluation of a number of building materials such as coatings, flooring materials, insulation materials, sealing materials, roofing materials, plumbing materials, and so on. The specific applicable standard depends on the type of material and the performance index to be evaluated. It is best to refer to the applicable ASTM standard for detailed test procedures and requirements prior to testing.
Copyright 2022：Qinsun Instruments Co., Limited