The ASTM6413 Flame Spread Vertical Flammability Tester is a specific testing apparatus designed to evaluate the flame spread characteristics of textiles and other materials. This test method is standardized by ASTM International under the designation ASTM D6413 - Standard Test Method for Flame Resistance of Textiles (Vertical Test).
The purpose of this test is to assess the flammability performance of materials intended for use in various applications, such as protective clothing, upholstery, curtains, or other products where fire safety is a concern. The test determines the flame spread and afterflame time of a vertically oriented fabric sample when exposed to a controlled ignition source.
Here are the key features and steps involved in the ASTM6413 flame spread vertical flammability test:
1. Testing Apparatus: The ASTM6413 Flame Spread Vertical Flammability Tester consists of a vertical specimen holder, a controlled ignition source, a timer, and a set of specifications for the burner and specimen dimensions.
1. Sample Preparation: Fabric samples of specified dimensions are prepared and conditioned according to the standard's requirements. The samples are typically exposed to specific environmental conditions, such as temperature and humidity, before testing.
1. Test Procedure: The fabric sample is mounted vertically in the specimen holder. The controlled ignition source, typically a propane or butane burner, is applied to the bottom edge of the sample for a specified duration. The burner is then removed, and the flame spread and afterflame time are recorded.
1. Flame Spread Measurement: The flame spread distance is measured along the specimen's vertical axis from the bottom edge upward. The length of the flame spread is typically recorded at specific time intervals.
1. Afterflame Time: After the removal of the ignition source, the duration of time that the fabric continues to burn or smolder is measured and recorded.
1. Evaluation: The flame spread distance and afterflame time are compared against the requirements specified in the applicable standard or regulatory guidelines. The material is classified based on its performance, such as passing or failing the flammability requirements.
It's important to note that specific details, such as burner dimensions, sample size, and acceptance criteria, may vary depending on the version or revision of the ASTM D6413 standard. Therefore, it is crucial to refer to the most current version of the standard for precise testing requirements and procedures.
Copyright 2022：Qinsun Instruments Co., Limited